Robbie Becker

The ongoing joys and struggles of seeking to live a life worthy of the calling I've received in Christ

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Controversy of Homosexuality

With Barack Obama announcing his support of homosexual marriage, and the people of the state of North Carolina voting to change the state constitution to say that the only valid "domestic legal partnership" in the state is marriage between a man and a woman, I thought I would comment on this controversial subject.

I've never been one to back down from a controversial conversation.  And I believe that this conversation is an important one, for several reasons.  First, because Christians are being deceived by the lie that homosexual marriage is honoring to God.  Homosexuality is no longer seen as sinful in this culture and is becoming more and more prevalent in the younger generations.  And at the core of all of this, I see 2 reasons why this has happened, and why this will continue to happen, along with more and more sin being not only acceptable, but encouraged:

1) We live in a culture where tolerance is the highest virtue.
2) We no longer believe in a God who does not tolerate sin.

Here's the way I said it in a recent conversation on Facebook, talking with a Wheaton College grad who claims that God is glorified through homosexual marriage:

"Tolerance has become the defining theme of our culture today. It seems like we must tolerate and cater to everyone, even when it seems utterly ridiculous. And this, I argue, is taking away my freedom. Because you see, we can talk about sin all day long and it's totally acceptable. TV shows are now showing the gay lifestyle in great detail (Glee, Smash, just to name a few). But when I start presenting the God of the Bible, the One Who created the universe, the One Who created us male and female, the One Who holds all things together, the One Who we will stand before one day and give an account for our lives, I often times feel like people just want me to shut up. To be nicer to those who are living in direct disobedience to the King. To keep my views to myself because I'm offending certain people. People seem tolerant of just about anything these days, except for when we start talking about Jesus. Nobody wants to hear what God has to say anymore...and certainly not the God of the Bible. And so we've created a new god. A god who is just as tolerant of sin as we are, because after all, tolerance is our defining characteristic. So why take the time to get to know the real God, when I can just put words in His mouth, ideas in His brain, and change the plot of the greatest story ever told? Why not start believing that He is totally accepting of the homosexual lifestyle and any other sin? Why not start insisting that those in the LBGT community can bring glory to Him through their sinful relationships? People have cried just from reading some of these posts! That's how tolerant we are of this! Christians, who claim to know and love Jesus, are giving approval and even defending this sin in our culture. In our great quest for total tolerance, we've become intolerant of the Word of God."

I believe that this is an issue that we as believers must not back down from.  We are commanded to love sinners, not to love sin.  So this is directed to those who claim to know and love Jesus, yet are either living outside the guidelines that God has set for us, or are giving approval to those who are.  Homosexual relationships are not, and have never been acceptable to God.  I wanted to post one more interaction from my conversation on Facebook.  The first is from a girl who chimed in with her opinion, followed by my response.  Hopefully, you see my heart in this matter:


"Robbie- why is it everybody else's business on what someone chooses to do? If a man wants to sleep with a man... according to the Bible he's going to Hell right? So let him go to Hell. The government has NO RIGHT to say no gay marriage. It's not their business nor their bodies. And from what I remember... homosexuals pay their taxes every April 17th just like all the straight people. So why shouldn't they get the same benefits? Why can't we all just worry about bettering ourselves and not give a damn what strangers do nor where they'll end up in the afterlife?"

My Response:
"My statements are intended for Bible believing Christians who I feel are ignoring truth in the Bible. And here's why I can't just worry about bettering myself and not give a damn what strangers do nor where they'll end up in the afterlife. Because love demands that people know the truth. How much would I have to hate someone, to believe in an eternal lake of fire, and not tell them that they're headed for it unless they change their ways? Yet this is what so many Christians do. We don't tell people. Yet those Christians are seen as "nice" and "respectable" by the world. But I don't want to stand before God on the last day and know that I was seen as nice and respectable by the world. I'm not living for the approval of man. I'm living for the approval of God, and He has commanded us to go into the world and tell people that His Son is the only way to heaven, that He has standards, and that unforgiven sin is the only thing that can keep us out of heaven. My beliefs, lived out, demand that I live honestly. If not, I'm living in hatred towards those who don't know God. So when I call sin out and tell people that they need Jesus, I don't think I'm being mean or overstepping my bounds. I think it's the most loving thing I can possibly do for someone, to tell them how they can have a relationship with Jesus and spend eternity with Him. While there may be greater issues that the government could focus on than homosexual marriage, there is no greater issue in all of life, than whether or not we know Jesus."


Romans 1:16-32, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Ephesians 5


I feel like I could write a book on this, but at the end of the day, God's Word speaks for itself.  I'm so excited that I get to spend a summer with Jr. High and High School students from all over America.  I'm excited that I get to talk about the righteous, glorious, holy God of the Bible.  I think having a right perspective of who God is, and even talking about Him in a way that demonstrates our total awe for Him, helps shape the way we see the world around us.  As A.W. Tozer said, "What comes into our mind when we think about God is the most important thing about us."  

To close, we're all sinners. Each person has their unique struggles. I don't think I'm any better than a homosexual. I just don't share that struggle. But I'm a sinner, just like them. The playing ground is level. We've all fallen short of God's glory. Recognizing how and where we've fallen short, is the first step towards radical obedience.

 

8 comments:

  1. Amen Robbie! A true follower of Christ is not "willing that any should perish". Blessings on you and your family.
    Wendy (from Kent. Spring Break trip)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for writing this Robbie. it is a hot topic right now for sure.

    I have many close friends and even more acquaintances who are gay. It breaks my heart that many of them would never even step into a church because they are so afraid of being judged. It breaks my heart even more that in many cases, they're fears are what would actually happen...they would be judged by the church and/or members of the Christian community. There is also a trickle down affect. Even good friends of mine who aren't gay have no interest in having anything to do with christianity. Here is a quote from a good friend of mine's facebook page yesterday:

    "I know I shouldn't allow myself to read comments left online by religious fanatics in regards to Obama's recent admission that he supports gay marriage. I know that if I do, the end result will be frustration and a stomachace. I know that I shouldn't engage in this debate/potentially offend any of my FB friends by pointing out that THESE people are the exact reason why Christianity scares the heck out of me...that while I am a huge fan of what Christianity should be about (loving yourself and loving others), I am NOT a fan of what these sorts of people have made Christianity about: wielding a book written thousands of years ago to promote hate and oppression. "

    That was from Amanda. And it echoes the sentiments of a lot of my friends who are not believers. It's obvious Satan is using this hot topic in our country to polarize. We Christians feel our views are being attacked so we stick stronger to them, and then sometimes shut out the people. And it's really the people who are important, not the issues. That's what mattered to Jesus.

    I've been reading in Colossians this week and thinking about how it applies to this issue. I highlighted, "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

    Thanks for writing this. I think this is a topic that is really unavoidable at this moment in history. A major "WWJD" moment (dang...I don't have one of those bracelets anymore...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I love Colossians 3:12-14. But Paul says more in this letter that is helpful for us today, and even regarding this issue.

      Colossians 2:8-10
      See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in Him, who is the head of all rule and authority.

      -May we not be deceived by the lie that this sin is acceptable to God!

      And the verses before the passage you quoted:
      Colossians 3:5-11
      Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Here there is not Greek but Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.

      -when we come to Christ, we are to put off our old self. Maybe this is why homosexuals feel so uncomfortable going to church - their sin has become their identity, and even if nobody says a word of judgment, if nobody gives a single bad glare, they may still feel uncomfortable in church. Because it's not just that they're a sinner like everyone else. It's that they let their sin define who they are. Tough not to feel judged in that case, especially if they know that God doesn't approve!

      lastly, the verses directly after the ones you quoted:
      Colossians 3:15-17
      And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

      -I can't help but wonder if this is possible for a homosexual who claims to be a Christian. A lot of heart talk here.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, i hear ya.

    And I know what you mean about putting off the old self. Sometimes the judging a person feels in church isn't judging at all, it's just a conviction from the holy spirit. I know cause I've completely experienced that. You think, "everyone here is thinking xyz about me.." Turns out they are not. You're thinking it about yourself. Because the holy spirit is working on your heart. Which is awesome and a sign that God loves us.

    Which brings me to my next question... why is homosexuality a sin that we feel we need to condemn others so publicly for? If someone has a covetous character, is our approach to make sure they KNOW that's there behavior is not ok...that we don't agree with it and God doesn't agree with it..and they'd better get help if they want to avoid the eternal lake of hell?? I feel like as Christians, sometimes we say all sins are equal, but we (myself included, for sure) don't respond equally to them. In a recent interview on the topic, Tim Keller says, "heterosexuality does not get you to heaven so how in the world could homosexuality send you to hell."

    I'm not trying to argue what the Bible says about homosexuality. I think it's pretty clear. I just wonder if there is a way the church can change it's approach to this topic in our society. Because I feel like we're where at is not ok.

    I don't know if you've ever seen this little blurb, but I found it really interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTwugmG4hoA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, thanks again for your comments and Keller video. I respect him a lot, but wish he had communicated a little better in that video. I felt he was a bit vague, but I got the point of what he was saying. I, of course, immediately clicked on the Piper video that came up afterwards and which I'll post at the bottom of this.

      I just wanted to address the question of why homosexuality is a sin we feel the need to condemn others so publicly for. First, 1 Corinthians 5:12-13.

      "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. 'Purge the evil person from among you.'"

      We are not to judge or condemn those outside the church. Period. Which again, is why I am trying to stick to those who claim to be Christians. But I think the reason we feel the need to condemn others publicly for it is because their sin is so public. Just as we condemn murderers, thieves, and others who sin publicly and we see it as obviously wrong, it's hard not to say the same to homosexuals, especially when so many are trying to force it onto our culture. My response to that force is to say, "No. I don't want to see that on TV or at school or in church because it's sinful." It's kind of hard not to condemn a sinful movement that is moving with such speed and force. I guess I just want people to know that it is sin. I don't mean to condemn anyone in the process. But people need to know that God does not approve of this, because if they don't, the gospel gets distorted. God becomes a sin approving god. Jesus becomes just another great man, who died for no reason, because sin is acceptable to God. This is why I feel homosexuality is a sin that needs to be condemned publicly. Because so many today have been deceived that it is not a sin. When we give knowledge that something is in fact, sin, condemnation of that sin follows by necessity. So, to bring knowledge of sin and condemn is good. But to condemn others - not good. There is a distinct difference, and I think that's what you mean by the way we need to change our approach in the church.

      Delete
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_n078cvLw8I

      Delete
  4. I have not watched the piper thing yet..but I will.

    You know what I think? We are in very different communities right now...and probably both of us are responded to an issue we're seeing in our particular communities...two sides of the same coin type deal. That is what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the last part of your post is the best part. We are ALL SINNERS. The moment we fail to see that is the moment we have failed to recognize the reason Jesus came to die for US! We will never be able to get the speck out of our brother's eye if we don't first remove the plank from our own.

    ReplyDelete